Thanks in large part to their therapeutic and healing effects, kratom-related products are obtainable in most major cities around the world. Prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, a new vendor setting up shop virtually every week hoping to sell kratom physically or through online platforms. To make matters worse, each store’s selection may differ from the next. With so many options to select from, it is becoming increasingly difficult for first-time buyers to decide which kratom strain to buy and where to buy kratom.
Below is an easy 7-step kratom guide that everyone should read to ensure they buy the best quality Kratom for their body and health needs.
- Read about its benefits and uses
- Study where the kratom comes from
- Specify your purpose for using kratom
- Which kratom strain is most suitable for you?
- Which kratom product is most ideal for you?
- Request for kratom lab test results
- Find a reputable kratom vendor
1. Learn about Kratom Myths, Kratom Effects, Kratom Risks
For centuries, this medicinal plant served many benefits for people of South-east Asian descent. In Thailand, for example, Kratom leaves were chewed and infused in tea for pain relief, relaxation, and energy. In other regions, Kratom was prepared for treatment of morphine dependence and other drug withdrawal symptoms.
Although there are many things you should consider prior to buying kratom, these are the key facts you should know:
- The psychoactive elements in Kratom provide many physiological effects including mental stimulation, pain relief, anxiety relief, stress relief, sedation and euphoria.
- The effects of kratom are dosage dependent and vary depending on the strain.
- At higher dosages, the euphoric effects resemble opiates. However, kratom is not an opiate, as verified by studies.
- The recommended dosage is between 0.5 to 3 teaspoons.
- As a natural medicinal plant, kratom has no side effects when taken in the right amounts.
- For uninformed users, there are negative side effects associated with overconsumption. Users who take too much kratom may feel nauseous and vomit. Users who take kratom too frequently may develop addiction—however, this is the case with most products in the world including alcohol, cigarettes and even video games.
For the last decade, government agencies and drug companies have spread massive amounts of false information regarding kratom in order to prevent its mass adoption. Therefore, it is better to read about kratom through user-generated-content (UGC) websites like Twitter, Reddit and Kratom Society (that’s us). This is the best way to learn about kratom and its effects through an unbiased source.
2. Which area does the Kratom come from?
As mentioned earlier, every store has a different inventory of kratom. And these kratom products originate from various regions in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and Borneo.
Each area has different growing conditions which alter the effects of their kratom. Knowing where the product comes from is important because it will help you approximate the potential effects of it.
- Borneo Kratom: Strong tranquilizing effects; relieves tension and pain.
- Bali Kratom: Strong and cost-effective pain relief; enhances mood.
- Indo Kratom: Potent analgesic strain with similar effects to Borneo Kratom.
- Malaysian Kratom: Also known as Green Malaysian, this strain sits on the line between sedation and stimulation. Elevates mood and energy.
- Thai Kratom: Popular mood and energy enhancer. Potent analgesic (like red Thai Kratom) with the ability to alleviate opiate withdrawal symptoms.
As you can see, Kratom from different regions, countries and islands have varying effects, but also many similar properties. Do some research on your strain of choice to learn more about its origin, varieties, and uses.
3. Specify your purpose for using Kratom
Kratom is a plant with many different health effects. Identifying your purpose will help you decide which type of kratom to purchase, which will subsequently maximize its benefits for you. In general, there are three main uses for Kratom:
- Health and wellness –energy boosting, concentration, improving work performance and focus
- Medicinal – Pain relief, stress relief, anti-depression, sleep better and faster
- Recreational – stimulating, sedating, euphoric
As you can imagine, there are possibly hundreds of different kratom strains. Some strains have high medicinal powers, some have recreational effects, while others are great for general health and wellness. The great thing about kratom is you can get all these benefits just by selecting the appropriate strain and adjusting the dosage to your liking.
So, take a minute and write down all the reasons as to why you want to use Kratom before moving on to the next step.
4. Which Kratom strain is most suitable for you?
As we age, our bodies require attention in different areas, so our needs may change as well. Maybe you need kratom for pain today, but 3 years later you need kratom more for its energizing and mood -enhancing properties.
Whatever your needs are, you must know the fundamental differences between kratom strains before purchasing. Here is an essential guide on kratom strains.
- Red vein kratom – This kratom strain is useful for its sedative and calming effects. They have the ability to calm our minds, bring about feelings of optimism and well-being, regulate our sleep and relieve bodily pains. Red strains are also helpful for curing opiate withdrawal symptoms (i.e., Red Thai or Red Vein Borneo).
- White vein kratom – White vein kratom is widely known for their energy boosting, mood enhancing, and stimulatory effects. This strain is touted as the most stimulating and euphoric.
- Green vein kratom –As indicated by the color, green strains fall between red and white in terms of effects. They are mild and perfect for daily use at work for focus, productivity and alertness. Some users will combine green strains with red or white strains for enhanced effects.
Knowing the classifications of each kratom strain is necessary to determine with one is the most suitable for you.
5. Which Kratom product is most suitable for you?
There are many different ways to consume kratom for its health benefits. Here are the most common ways:
- Raw leaf – historically, people from South-east Asia chewed raw kratom leaves or made ceremonial drinks with the raw leaves. One word of warning: the bitterness level is extremely high for this form of kratom.
- Dry crushed leaves – today, many vendors offer crushed kratom leaves for sale. This form of kratom acts as a “reset button” for regular users to prevent them from developing addictions. The taste is equally as bitter as raw leaf, but easier to prepare as a tea.
- Tinctures – kratom tinctures are formed by dissolving the leaf in alcohol to form a strong potent liquid. During the extraction process, only the alkaloids are left intact.
- Kratom powders – similar to crushed leaf kratom but grinded further into a fine powder. Powdered kratom is easy to consume and is most popularly prepared in teas as powders are easier to swallow and digest than crushed leaf kratom.
- Kratom capsules – these products are made by filling small hard-shelled or soft-shelled capsules with powdered kratom. Kratom capsules are best for those who want to avoid the bitter flavors of kratom.
- Extracts – these are powerful concentrated forms of kratom that are not recommended for beginners or sensitive users. Kratom extracts are made by extracting the liquids out of the original leaf form to produce a thick, dark paste, that contains a rich concentrate of the plant.
Basic versus advanced forms of kratom
Many vendors only sell basic kratom products (powder or leaves) because products like capsules and extracts are too strong for most users, especially for beginners. These advanced kratom products are generally only available at top-ranked online sellers. Knowing the different options available will help you decide your preferences and create a shortlist of your favorite forms of Kratom. Beginners are recommended to stick with basic powders or crushed leaf kratom and slowly graduate to more potent forms.
6. Request for Kratom lab test results
When taking a new health supplement, the most important thing is safety. This rule holds true for kratom and all other natural health products. Here are two things you can do to ensure a safe kratom experience.
- Buy kratom from a vendor that tests their products regularly. If the vendor publicizes their lab results, review them. If not, request for them via email. Ensure that the lab testers are legitimate third-party sources.
- Follow the recommended dose of between 0.5 and 3 teaspoons. This is a safe range that enables both beginners and regulars to enjoy the benefits of kratom without any risk.
It is the vendor’s responsibility to sell genuine, laboratory-verified kratom products to their customers. In case you can’t find lab results on the vendor’s website, ask for evidence of certification before confirming your order. Most authentic kratom vendors online will provide it to all its customers when requested. Never buy kratom from cheap, shady websites that lack documentation—it is an industry-wide requirement.
7. Find a reputable Kratom vendor
There are hundreds of online kratom vendors to choose from. For beginner users, it can be quite an overwhelming list to sift through. However, we must be careful when selecting the vendor since this is an unregulated area with very little government oversight. In order to select the best vendor to buy kratom from, make sure they meet most (or ideally all) of the following criteria:
- A fully functional website
- Detailed price information
- Bank-based payment options (debit or credit)
- 100% quality guarantee
- Consumer guides
- Lab test results (certificate of analysis)
- Delivery areas (confirm it matches current legal/regulatory landscape)
- Products labeled with GMP certificate (only in U.S.)
- Complete return and exchange policy
- Customer support through phone or email
- User reviews (make sure the reviews are verified)
Thoughts on this Kratom Guide
This list may look extensive, but it will only take up a few minutes of your time. In return, you can ensure safe, quality product, and potentially avoid damage to your health.
A trusted kratom vendor understands the market landscape and welcomes all customer queries – especially from beginner users. We urge you to contact the vendor directly whenever you have any concerns about a product or need clarifications. In the U.S., vendors are able to talk more freely and openly about kratom. In Canada, on the other hand, vendors cannot advise customers on anything insinuating consumption of kratom since the plant not regulated for consumer purposes.
All of the best kratom vendors in Canada and the U.S. have dedicated customer support staff reachable via phone or email. In Canada, due to health regulation crackdown, many vendors have removed telephone lines from their websites.
In the U.S., you can buy quality kratom at convenient locations like smoke shops and even gas station. However, in remote areas, the inventory of kratom may not be the best in terms of freshness. Buying kratom online is always as safe bet as long as you purchase from a reputable kratom seller.