If you’re a regular Kratom consumer, you know that there are many different types of Kratom available for sale online. If you’re quite new to the scene, this can be quite overwhelming. But don’t worry, Kratom Society has many resources and articles to help you figure out what type of Kratom is best for you. This article discusses the 3 main categories of Kratom: green, white, and red. Also, we will discuss the different forms of Kratom (i.e. capsules, powders, extracts, etc.) and along the way provide insights to help you decide which Kratom is right for you.
What is Kratom?
Kratom is famous for its stimulatory and analgesic effects, as well as its medicinal properties.
Originating from the fertile lands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand, this medicinal herb has recently risen in popularly and is being used by many people all around the world.
Which Vendors to Buy Kratom From in Canada and the U.S?
Finding a reliable Kratom vendor online is also becoming quite challenging. In the U.S., new stores are opening up every month. Some with very attractive deals. It’s very tempting to buy Kratom at the lowest prices to save a few dollars. We recommend you do your research and find the store with the best recent reviews (don’t pay attention to outdated reviews because operations change very frequently in this space). In the U.S., we found that Kratom Flavourz, Kraken Kratom and Kratom Spot are among the top-rated stores. Kratom Flavourz leads in the U.S. with over 1,500 reviews on TrustPilot.
Recently, many stores in Canada have shut down due to Health Canada investigations, leaving only a few stores that remain active in Canada. We’re following the situation closely and will provide an update soon. In Canada, we found that Canada Kratom Express and Kratom Source are the only active stores with online ratings. Canada Kratom Express leads in Canada with over 700 reviews on TrustPilot.
In the U.S., many states have made major headways towards the legalization of Kratom. In 2019, Nevada, Utah, Georgia, and Arizona all signed the Kratom Consumer Protection Act, restricting sales to minors and adding labeling requirements. And in California, Kratom is legalized everywhere except in San Diego.
In Thailand, Kratom may be taken off the country’s official drug lists for the first time since 1943. Recently, Thailand’s Justice Minister announced publicly that “Kratom leaves do not match the characteristics of narcotics.”
It is evident that, given its myriad of medicinal qualities, Kratom has earned a permanent place in the world of medicine.
Common Uses and Benefits of Kratom
With such a wide range of healing effects, it should come as no surprise that the plant is available in many different varieties. The effects of Kratom can vary depending on:
- The leave’s veins
- The type of strain
- The form of Kratom extract
Some varieties are for energy, some are for relaxation, while some are for well-being. Even the ingestion method can produce varying effects (i.e. powder vs. capsule vs. crushed leaf). When it comes to extracts, a man-made alternative, the differences get a bit tricky (sometimes even misleading).
Here’s a complete guide to the different Kratom varieties available based on differences in (1) veins, (2) strains, and (3) types of extracts.
Types of Kratom Veins
The different colors of Kratom veins not only impact the leaves aesthetically but also alter the effects and usages of the plant.
Red Vein Kratom: Perhaps the most widely used and purchased vein of Kratom.
With strong sedative properties, red vein Kratom acts as a natural tranquilizer that helps relieve anxiety, clear your head, and soothe muscle and nerve soreness. Certain strains have analgesic characteristics, relieving pain and drug-related withdrawal symptoms. Furthermore, red vein Kratom is well-known to help those suffering from insomnia or have difficulty sleeping. The effects of red vein Kratom last for roughly 5 hours.
Green Vein Kratom: Known as the most “beginner-friendly” type of Kratom. While red vein Kratom acts as a sedative, and white vein Kratom a stimulant, the green vein Kratom has a little bit of both. It simultaneously stimulates your mental capabilities (like white vein) while calming your body and mind (like red vein). Some people call this a state of “general well-being” or “euphoria”. Green vein Kratom possesses the longest duration of all the veins, lasting around 8 hours from beginning to end.
White Vein Kratom: A popular substitute for caffeine drinkers. White vein Kratom has strong stimulating properties, making it a great energy booster and mood enhancer. Many chronically depressed individuals use this vein to alleviate depression symptoms and heighten their ability to focus on everyday tasks. The effects of white vein Kratom has the shortest duration of all the vein types, lasting between 3 to 5 hours.
Types of Kratom Strains
Since the effects of Kratom vary widely, the variety of strains also vary. Typically, Kratom is classified into 3 strain categories: sedating, moderate and stimulating.
Sedating strains: These strains are powerful nervous system tranquilizers that eliminate or significantly reduce anxiety, and produce relaxing and analgesic effects. The more prominent sedative strains are:
- Borneo Kratom: Produces exceptionally strong tranquilizing and sedative effects, relieving tension and pain.
- Bali Kratom: Strong and cost-effective pain relief and mood enhancement properties.
- Indo Kratom: A potent analgesic strain with similar effects to Borneo Kratom.
Moderate strains: Kratom within this category do not deviate greatly in terms of effects. They will not produce extreme sedative effects, nor will they be too stimulating. For this reason, they are perfect for daily use.
- Green Borneo: A popular strain due to its well-balanced alkaloid profile. Highly regarded as the ideal moderate strain.
- Malaysian Kratom: Also known as Green Malaysian, this strain sits on the line between sedation and stimulation. It helps elevate mood and energy, and relieve pain.
Stimulating strains: Ideal for patients suffering from chronic depression, as well as for people who need a daily energy booster. Many people use these strains to substitute for coffee.
- Thai Kratom: Popular mood and energy enhancer, as well as a potent analgesic (like red Thai Kratom). Also used to alleviate opiate withdrawal symptoms.
- Maeng Da Kratom: Perhaps the most popular strain worldwide due to its mind-body energy, and long-lasting duration. Produces similar effects to Thai Kratom, with a moderate euphoric profile.
Types of Kratom Extracts
While most people still consume Kratom in plain leaf or powder form, extracts are becoming more popular, especially in the U.S. In Canada, online vendors don’t generally offer extracts due to strict national regulations, but a few vendors do have it—ask around.
Extracts (also known as concentrates) is an umbrella term for the variety of products that can be produced when Kratom is processed into a concentrated form. These products come in liquid and solid form, such as oils, resins, concentrated powder and tinctures, and are either ingested or inhaled. Note, extracts contain a very high concentration of Kratom, so there is the potential for overconsumption. Read the labels carefully, and always start with low dosages when in doubt.
These are the most popular methods employed to produce Kratom extracts:
- Ultra Enhanced Indo: A highly potent extract with very few side effects aside from its high concentration. One of the best-sellers in the Kratom industry. Other side effects include the possibility of developing a tolerance (for frequent and regular users) as well as withdrawal symptoms if usage discontinues abruptly. Also, these extracts are quite expensive.
- Liquid Kratom/ Kratom Tincture: This form of extract is easy to store and use, and its effects are fast-acting. However, due to their complex method of extraction, they are not the most cost-effective solution.
- Kratom Resin: A mixture containing both alcohol and water, this extract is easy to use and store. Despite being a liquid mixture, it preserves the alkaloid properties and potency of Kratom extremely well.
- Kratom Extract Powder: This is a concentrated version of standard Kratom powder, formulated to accentuate the potency of the original leaf. Be careful and only purchase through notable vendors as the concentrates used are difficult to test.
Depending on your symptoms and medical requirements, you may choose one Kratom variety or strain over another. Make sure to do proper research online to find a product most suitable for you.
When selecting a Kratom vendor online (or a physical shop if there are any available nearby) make sure to read through their most up-to-date user reviews. Ask for samples as well. Some vendors may even offer free Kratom samples to try.
Lastly, pay attention to the dosage. Depending on the form of Kratom you choose (capsule, powder or extract), the dosage may differ. As a rule of thumb, always start low and work your way up.